We are delighted to bring you this workshop facilitated by the lovely and knowledgeable Pauline Harter.
This workshop is designed to assist you to weave music into your environment. It will cover all five areas of the curriculum showing you how music and dance can be an integral part of each day. The day will commence with simple Getting to know you songs and karakia for the beginning of the day using ukuleles and voices.
This workshop will be in three sections:
- The Creation: In the beginning; Stories: Rangi and Papa and the Mountains of Tibet, Tangaroa’s gift and Matariki; Songs, dances and chants to celebrate the stars, planets, planet earth, the land and the waters.
- Papatuanuku: Celebration of Mother Earth; The Kingdoms, Plants and animals; Many songs about animals, plants, dances and rituals that celebrate the seasons, the fruits, the continents and islands of the earth.
- The Peoples of the Earth: Songs, dances, games celebrating the many cultural festivals throughout the year, the seasons and the days from Aotearoa to Alaska, India to Ireland, Mali to Mexico; Story – The Mountains of Tibet.
You will leave with words of waiata/songs which you will be able to play on your ukelele (building up your kete of chords throughout the day), instructions for dances and some simple craft ideas you can use. Pauline will also have a CD which you can purchase of the songs and dances you have learnt.
Come prepared to have fun!
What you need to bring to the workshop
Locations and Time:
- Auckland 15 February 2020 9.00 am – 3.00 pm: Glendowie Montessori Preschool, 227 West Tamaki Road, Glendowie, Auckland
- Dunedin 7 March 2020 9.00 am – 3.00 pm: Learning Links, Cnr Ravelston Street and Queens Drive, St Kilda, Dunedin
- Wellington 2 May 2020 9.00 am – 3.00 pm: South Wellington Montessori School, 4 Duppa Street, Berhampore, Wellington
- Christchurch 23 May 2020 9.00 am – 3.00 pm: Nova Montessori School,53 Owles Terrace, New Brighton, Christchurch 8061
- Waikato 5 September 2020 9.00 am – 3.00 pm: Montessori House of Children, 697a Wairere Drive, Chartwell, Hamilton 3210
To enable us to keep the price of this workshop as low as possible we ask you to bring your own lunch. Morning and afternoon tea will be provided along with tea and coffee.
- MANZ Member school staff $145
- Individual member $185
- Full registration $285
Facilitator: Pauline Harter
Pauline Harter has been learning and teaching in the Montessori community for nearly 40 years, at both the 3 – 6 and 6 – 12 levels. After completing her AMI training in India, Italy and England, she was actively involved in teaching and training in New Zealand, Australia, USA, India and England. Pauline has taught in Montessori Early Childhood and Primary classes, and also held many music workshops. She has made two CD’s of children’s songs with accompanying song books. The international cultural and spiritual elements featured in the CD’s fit perfectly with the Montessori multicultural programme. Music, dance and multicultural celebrations are important daily activities in her Children’s House and in the Montessori Primary classes in the Wairarapa. It is this joy and connection, this vital part of our curriculum, that she wishes to share in this music workshop.